Email: Phone 9773 7125 or call Jason 0419 032 034

 Do I need a licenced builder?

Yes, only a builder who is properly trained and has the relevant experience to do the work may be licensed. Any person who carries out residential building work over $1,000 in labour and materials content without an appropriate licence is breaking the law and could be prosecuted.

Why should I choose a licenced builder?

By hiring an Unlicensed Builder or Contractor without Workman's Comp/ General Liability Insurance, YOU,     as the homeowner, are Liable for any accident or injury on the job! There is no direct legal Yes, Anyone doing residential building work over $1,000 in value or recourse against an Unlicensed Builder or Contractor for a Bad Job! Hiring a licensed professional insures training, credibility, and your satisfaction and peace of mind for a job well done! Only deal with a builder or tradesperson who is licensed with the Office of Fair Trading.

Building Contracts – Do I need one?

By law, a licenced builder or tradesperson must provide a written contract to the home owner for building work over $1000, or if the cost of the labour and materials to be supplied by the builder or tradesperson is over $1000. This work includes house construction, renovation, addition, maintenance or swimming pool installation.

What Information should be on the contract?

The date it was signed by both the builder/tradesperson and the home owner

The exact name on your builder or tradesperson's licence card and the exact licence number

The home owner’s name

A sufficient description of the work to be carried out any project plans and specifications attached

Relevant warranties required by the Home Building Act 1989

The contract price, if known, must be prominently displayed on the front page

A warning if the contract price is not known or is subject to change, and an explanation of the

Provisions allowing for variation of the price

A checklist of questions which aim to ensuring that the home owner understands a number of issues such as the contract price, home warranty insurance, deposits and who is required

To obtain council and other approvals

A clause which requires the builder or tradesperson to carry out the work in accordance with

The requirements of the Building Code of Australia

A clause which requires that all variations must be in writing.

A clause which requires the builder/tradesperson to provide the consumer with a brochure (the Consumer building guide) which explains procedures for the resolution of contract and insurance disputes.

Does my tradesman need a licence?

In NSW you need to be licenced if you:

Are contracted to do residential building work where the labour and materials content is worth more than $1,000

Undertake specialist work such as plumbing, gasfitting, electrical , or air conditioning work

How can I check if my tradesman has a licence?


Ask them! When you see the licence write down the number, the licence must be for the specific work that you want done.


The licence card indicates the category for which the holder is licenced for example builder, plumber, electrician etc it should also be current do the next step to ensure that it has not been cancelled or suspended for any reason.


Check for yourself the following website is set up by the Dept of Fair trading                                                  

Do I need a Smoke Alarm? In residential premises

Yes, to enhance safety and minimise loss-of-life in building fires, the NSW

Parliament enacted the Building Legislation Amendment (Smoke Alarms)

Act in July 2005. The Act allows regulations to be made to require smoke

alarms to be installed in existing buildings in which people sleep.

A smoke alarm is an effective early warning device designed to detect smoke and alert building occupants to the presence of a fire. Installed in the correct location,  it increases the time available for safe escape.

From 1 May 2006, when the Environmental Planning and Assessment

Amendment (Smoke Alarms) Regulation 2006 came into effect, owners

of residential property are responsible for ensuring smoke alarms are installed.

The Smoke Alarms Regulation specifies which types of buildings will need

smoke alarms installed, the types of alarms, where they are to be located

and other matters. Contact details for more information about the requirements under the Regulation are listed in this fact sheet.


Finally the most important thing to consider 

Ask yourself will both myself and my family be comfortable with this person being around our property for the duration of the job?